Sunday, July 22, 2012

Mindmap

There are many times throughout my life that I "interact and work as a group," with other people through technology (Rheingold, 2008). Networking has changed the way I learn because at the click of a button I can instantly find information I need to increase my knowledge. Additionally, if I do not understand the information, I can find more information quickly that can support the new information I just gathered. I can also find information that contradicts and doubts the information I found.
As a basketball coach and director, in a sport that is constantly changing, it is beneficial that “everyone can have a voice and we can digitize” (Laureate Education, Inc., 2012). In the past, only few people were fortunate to learn from the greatest coaches in the world. Now, the greatest coaches in the world can be accessed quickly through instructional videos provided on YouTube.com. Additionally, people who discover new moves can record them and instantly share them with everyone in the world. This has changed the way I create my own techniques with the information I learn from everyone else. I can also send my players the links so they can see drills from home and practice them. If I have questions I can also type key words from the question into YouTube and videos that relate appear.
Because YouTube.com was the best tool to facilitate learning about basketball, I decided to use it as a network to increase my knowledge as it pertains to education.   Although education does not have as many resources through YouTube as basketball does, I have been able to learn several methods of behavior management for the classroom through videos of Richard Lavoie. I can also see how other educators incorporate technology into their classroom lessons. There are also students who use YouTube for class projects and it is interesting to see their results.

Resources
Laureate Education, Inc. (2012). Connectivism learning theory. Baltimore, MD, Author: George
Siemens

Rheingold, H. (2008, February). Howard Rheingold on collaboration [Video file]. Retrieved
from http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/howard_rheingold_on_collaboration.html

6 comments:

  1. Reggie,

    Reading your blog made me realize that I forgot to include YouTube as one of my networking sources. I use it as well as TeacherTube to view tutorials and videos. It is definitely a valuable resource. I enjoyed reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reggie,

    I like how you set up your mind map. You showed how those items promote connecting in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reggie,

    YouTube is a great way to find information. I have gone on there to help find out how to solve certain upper level math problems so I can then teach them to the students I tutor. Having access to that information has been very helpful to me since the students I tutor no longer have textbooks of any kind.

    Mel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point! Although I haven't used it before to learn how to teach a math problem, I will now. Thanks!

      Delete